Thursday, June 12, 2008

One Day in a Small-Town Desert, chapter 18, page 4

(start of book) (start of chapter) (previous page)



Vata Kılímí prayed to her god, “O Névazhíno, God of Animals, Creator of All Creatures, Love of the Universe, I need Your aid.”

The elderly woman stood just inside the circle of flaming braziers, her arms outstretched, her head tilted back, and her eyes closed.

“I have always been faithful to You. Surely this is evident to One as wise and powerful as You are. I would not request Your assistance if it was not in Your service, as this most certainly is.”

In the back of her mind, Vata noticed the lack of Névazhíno’s presence, but she did not let this slow her prayer.

“During Your healing of my loyal husband and the young man, Zhíno, it is apparent that Zhíno’s spirit took control of my husband’s corporeal form. I wish to give You a sacrifice for Your assistance in returning my husband to control of his own body, but I cannot, for the police have surrounded our house.”

Her arms grew weak, but she did not let them lower. Usually, by this point in a prayer, Névazhíno’s spirit buoyed her soul and gave her energy. Then again, she usually started the prayer with a sacrifice.

“O Névazhíno, Love of the Universe, I beseech You: please distract the police so I may obtain a sacrifice suitable for You. You are the most noble of all the gods. I have all my trust in You. My husband’s life is in Your hands.”

With that, Vata brought her hands together in front of her chest and lowered her head.

She held that position while she listened to the universe. Névazhíno remained absent.

After a moment, Vata sensed increasing agitation coming from the policemen’s souls. She wasn’t well connected to them, so she wouldn’t normally sense their emotions, but when scores shared the same feeling, it came strong to her. She concentrated, trying to divine their exact situation. Had they found Pí‘oro? But no, their essences were moving southward, toward the front of the house, toward the driveway, leaving the area within sight of the back yard completely abandoned.

Vata broke her pose and shuffled at her top speed toward the hidden exterior door. Whatever was occurring to draw the ire of the policemen, it was the distraction she needed. It was Vata’s prayer answered.

(next page)

No comments: