Sunday, October 7, 2007

One Day in a Small-Town Desert, chapter 15, page 1

(start of book) (previous chapter) (previous page)

Chapter 15: Vision Verisimilitude



Fírí Parızada ran through a forest, chased by an unknown person or thing. Black, scraggly branches clawed at her face, but she couldn’t slow, lest she was caught. The forest was never-ending. Tree after tree, bush after bush, boulder after boulder.

She came to the top of a cliff and jumped. No time to think about it. No time to hesitate. Her adversary was almost upon her.

Fírí plummeted. In the darkness of the forest, she couldn’t see the bottom, and yet she knew it hurtled ever closer. She was about to die.

Someone grabbed her from behind. Fírí shrieked. She’d been captured!

The assailant swooped her high into the air, far above the forest. Fírí fought to break her attacker’s grasp, but he was too strong.

He gently set her down on a couch. Covered by a thin, stained blanket, the couch springs poked through the cushion and into Fírí’s butt. She shifted a little to the right and found the comfortable spot.

The man who had been chasing her stepped into her vision, directly in front of the television set. It was on a muted commercial, so she didn’t mind.

It was Zhíno.

He jerked up his chin in a greeting and asked, “Are you all right?”

Fírí crossed her legs and tilted her head to the side, piercing her ex-boyfriend with a withering glare. “What does you care? An hour ago, you were trying to kill me!”

“And that was a mistake. I’m truly sorry.”

Zhíno gripped his right elbow with his left hand in his pose of sheepishness. Neither arm was injured.

Was he serious? He acted sincere enough.

“I know now,” he continued, but paused, frowning. “I love you, Fírí. I should always help you.” He shook his head, staring at the coffee table covered in empty bottles and folded magazines. “I don’t know what I was thinking.”

What the plagues? Fírí set down the remote control and stood up. Dust and yogurt tickled her nostrils.

“What happened to you?” she demanded. “Did the old hag manage to beat some sense through that thick skull of yours?”

He jabbed a finger at her, snarling, “Shut up and listen, you twin of Vítí. I’m trying to apologize!” He abruptly held up his hands, placating, eyes averted. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have snapped at you like that. You’re understandably angry.”

“Ahísıhíta-damned right, I’m angry at you.” Fírí stood with arms akimbo, her nose tilted up.

What business did he have, coming in here, interrupting her television watching? He shouldn’t be in the house at all. He should be out of her life forever. She was done with him. Wasn’t she?

Zhíno dropped to his knees, his hands clasped together. “Please give me a second chance, baby. Thanks to the Love of the Universe, I’ve changed. Please believe me.”

“Love of the Universe”? That’s Névazhíno, right? The stupid God of Animals was able to make Zhíno change his ways? Does this mean Vata is actually able to call the god like she pretended? “I’ll believe it when I see it.” She held up her index finger, narrowing her eyes at him. “And the difference had better be as clear as night and day.”

“Thank you, my love,” Zhíno gushed. “It will be. I promise you. It will be.”

Fírí plopped back down on her couch and snatched up the remote control. “Now get out of my way. My show’s back on.”

(next page)

No comments: